Thursday, July 24, 2008

Building Relationships

July 22, 2008 Today’s opening Eucharist was offered by the Province of Central Africa. While much of the Conference is in English, various Provinces will celebrate some or all of the liturgy in their respective native tongues. Such was the case today, and again I find the richness of this experience both disorienting and engaging all at once. Our Bible Study group focused on Jesus’ promise to be the “bread of life.” The Indaba discussion groups focused on “The Bishop and evangelism.” I finally found a time to go to the gym and have a vigorous work out. Rather than going to a self-select group after working out, I joined the patient and not-so-patient group waiting to use the laundry facility. After an hour’s wait, I decided that this was not going to be the best use of my time (although the novel I am reading helped), so I returned to the room and worked on a four-minute presentation that I am scheduled to present tomorrow night. I will tell you more of that in the day ahead. I am staying in touch by email not only with you through these writings, but with the office and the ongoing work of the Diocese back home. Jeannie and I were able to share meals together today. As far as laundry goes, however, it appears that I will need to get up early and get back in the line for the two washing machines available for the eight hundred or so of us.

July 23, 2008 Success! I was second in line to wash clothes this morning, and I have officially cleaned up my act. Today proved to be a day of engagement. We are building a basis of trust in one another that should allow us to begin moving into some deeper discussion about some of the more pressing issues we are facing. Our Bible study group has grown. We have added a Lutheran bishop from India and a new translator for our Burmese brother bishops. As with any addition to a “formed” group, it takes a bit of intentionality to accomplish it gracefully. Muddling along together, I think it will work out in the end.

The presentation I mentioned in passing from yesterday’s journal might now be good to detail a bit. I had been asked to be part of a panel of bishops who would help introduce Bishop Gene Robinson to bishops from around the communion. Bishop Chilton Knutson of Maine gave an overview of the process by which a bishop is elected in the Episcopal Church. Bishop Michael Curry of North Carolina gave a brief explanation of how he came to vote in favor of Bishop Robinson’s election. It just dawned on me that both of these bishops have been guest preachers and chaplains at our own diocesan convention.

I was asked to be the third panel member because I had voted “No” to the election. As did each of the panel members, I had four minutes to state why I had decided in this way and then to share observations about working with Bishop Robinson in the House of Bishops. Following the various introductory remarks, Bishop Robinson spoke to the gathering and responded to their questions. At a few minutes after 10:00 p.m., Jeannie and I called it the end of a full and encouraging day. Off to bed soon thereafter. We are to be up at 5:00 a.m. to “go off to London and see the Queen..”

Blessings, +Don

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I was asked to be the third panel member because I had voted “No” to the election. As did each of the panel members, I had four minutes to state why I had decided in this way and then to share observations about working with Bishop Robinson in the House of Bishops."

And what did you say? Please, we need to know