Friday, July 6, 2012

The Second Day of Convention and already we are trying to figure out just what the Holy Spirit has in mind for the Church

Today was curious and strangely encouraging. I have been privileged to attend eleven General Conventions. I was elected to twelve, but Jeannie and I moved from East Tennessee to Nashville before I could attend the last Convention in Philadelphia. Put another way, I have been attending General Conventions as a Deputy in the House of Deputies or in the House of Bishops for over thirty years. This is not as long as our friend of blessed memory, Charles Crump, or of our friend of current celebration, the Rev. Reynolds Cheney. However it has been a while since I started out as a young priest representing at the time the Diocese of Tennessee. That is to say that it is not the first time I have joined with this Church to discuss and discern what the Holy Spirit is saying to the Church in General Convention.


Noting this, I am struck by what I perceive to be today’s rather unique dynamic. That is to say, the House of Bishops was a bit feisty in our dealing with items coming before us for consideration. I thought this might just be the Bishop’s response to too many resolutions that began to look too much like resolutions adopted at prior conventions. However, when I met with our Deputation I heard a similar story of the response of the House of Deputies to proposed resolutions I might characterize as “business as usual.” I wonder what the Holy Spirit has in mind for us at this Convention?

I recognize that the blog posts to date have been rather general in nature. I anticipate that this will begin to change rather quickly. Since each House (Bishops and Deputies) has to agree to the exact wording of any resolution we pass as a Convention, it should not be surprising that we are just beginning those conversations for ultimate Convention action. However, the number of resolutions that have been originated in one House or the other and that will soon be referred to the other House for their concurrence is about to pick up in volume and complexity. I hope you continue to be patient with us as we begin to core down beneath the surface of the resolutions. It is in this process of mutual discernment by both Houses that this Church comes to understand how God is talking and guiding us in the days ahead. I anticipate the specificity about the direction this Convention is going will begin to unfold in the next couple of days. Until then, know that we need and will be strengthened and guided by your prayers.

More generally, the President of the House of Bishops and the President of the House of Deputies delivered challenging and in some ways complimentary sermons over the last two days. Each approaches the Church’s mission in ways that seem on the surface to be more diverse than I think they actually are. Bonny Anderson, President of the House of Deputies, called today for courage to speak the truth. Our Presiding Bishop preached yesterday and called for us to speak the truth in love. Both are important insights and challenges to this Church as we meet in Convention.

I have met and reconnected with many friends. The Convention is, as many have noted, like a family reunion. Wish you were here with us. It is a great time to meet, greet and recreate old relationships and new. If you can get by to visit with us over the next few days, know that Jeannie and I would love to involve you with our evening caucuses and with the fellowship events that we have planned. Whether you are here in person or in spirit, know that we continue to need your prayers.

+Don

No comments: